This method helps bring students collaborate and learn from each other. It gives students the opportunity to become "experts" on subject material and teach their group members about what they've learned. You can follow the steps at www.jigsaw.org.
- Divide your students into teams of 4-5 students.
- Assign each team the same topic, and each student in the group will be assigned a different piece to research.
- The students researching the same piece from each team will have a meeting to discuss what they have learned.
- Now the experts on their piece, they will report back to the team on what they have learned.
- The teams will each give a short presentation on their topic.
Elizabeth Bishop, a teacher at Blackstone Valley Prep Mayoral Academy in Rhode Island, uses this method in her classroom.